One Cause One Cure
#3 Hope for Helpers: Less Stress, More Joy
Helpers come in many forms informally as parents, children, siblings, friends and even strangers. They also come with professional labels such as Physician, Nurse, First Responder, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Addiction Therapist, Mental Health Therapist, Family Therapist, Marriage Counselor, Psychologist, Psychiatrist, Clergy from varied Religions.
What is common to all of these helpers is the desire to be a healing agent.
What is also familiar to many of these caring people is the daily experience of many hours of Chronic Mental Stress all too often leading to “psychological, spiritual and physiological “burnout”.
A recently published study of over 2,000 U.S. psychiatrists reported that 78% met the criteria for “Burnout”. Incident rates of burnout are reported at greater than 50% in many of the helping named above professions and family helpers.
The label “Compassion Fatigue” is often connected to these statistics. I ask the reader to be open to the cause of the fatigue/burnout is lack of understanding and not the presence of compassion.
This program will utilize the wisdom presented in Sydney Banks 2001 book The Enlightened Gardener and augmented my thirty-eight-year winding incremental journey exploring the Universal Principles of Mind, Consciousness, 26 years of which was as a mentee of the late Sydney Banks.
This course will point to an understanding that is within the consciousness of every human being. As this understanding is realized, one’s resistance to stress is effortlessly increased, and one’s innate resilience awakened, bringing ‘more joy, less stress and more effectiveness to one’s passion as a helper.
The understanding that will be presented is on the cutting edge. That being the case, many are unaware of it.
Objectives for “Help For The Helpers: Less Stress More Joy”
After participating in this course the participant will —
1) Be able to discuss the erroneous assumption that caregiving by its very nature creates a state of mental stress.
2) Be able to discuss the connection between our spiritual (formless) nature and our psychological nature
3) Be able to discuss the universal Principles of Mind, Thought, and Consciousness as the building blocks of all human experience.
4) Be able to discuss the state of love and understanding as the default setting of all human beings.
5) Be able to discuss the source and role of wisdom in awakening stress resistance and resilience in the face of life’s challenges.
“Seeing ‘psychological innocence’ in the past and current attempts to label and classify the suffering of ‘lost thinkers’ ushers in compassion rather than judgment”
The course consists of 8 weekly sessions.
- Sessions 1 and 8 duration – 2 hours.
- Sessions 3 to 7 duration – 90 minutes
Session 1 will begin at 7 pm BST (2 pm E.T., 11 am PST, 1 pm CT, 8 pm European, 9 pm Israel, 8 pm South Africa) on Wednesday 29th September 2021 and run for eight consecutive weeks up to Wednesday 17th November 2021.
The start time will remain the same, but there may be a regional change after 31st October (U.K.) or 7th November (USA) when the clocks go backwards. Participants will be notified ahead of each session.
You can join me live via Zoom, but the recording will be available within 24 hours of the session if you cannot attend in person. I am here to guarantee that this will not be boring or without value.
Session Structure (Sessions 1 and 8 have extended introduction and Q and A elements)
- Introduction and insight (15 minutes)
- Salient wisdom from The Enlightened Gardener (30 minutes)
- Comfort break (5 minutes)
- What I have seen and what I would like to see more clearly – Q and A and sharing of insights (45 minutes)
**Please be aware if you ask a question during the session, you will appear on the screen and appear in the recording of the session. You may email your question before the session if you do not wish to appear on the screen.
The course has been designed to encourage discussion and insight in a way I hope will be experienced as intriguing, illuminating and hopeful to participants.
At the end of each session’s schedule is a list of objectives for that session.
Reading schedule of The Enlightened Gardener
- 29th September – Session 1 – Salient Wisdom from pages 5-21
- 6th October – Session 2 – Salient Wisdom from pages 22-42
- 13th October – Session 3 – Salient Wisdom from pages 43-61
- 20th October – Session 4- Salient Wisdom from pages 62-81
- 27th October – Session 5 – Salient Wisdom from pages 82-106
- 3rd November – Session 6 – Salient Wisdom from pages 107-122
- 10th November – Session 7 – Salient Wisdom from pages 123-151
- 17th November – Session 8 – Salient Wisdom from pages 152-176
- Wed Sep 29 (120 min) at 11am PST, 1pm CT, 2pm ET, 7 pm UK, 8pm Eur, 9pm Israel, 8 pm S Africa, 7am Auckland
- Wed Oct 6 (90 min) at 11am PST, 1pm CT, 2pm ET, 7pm UK, 8pm Eur, 9pm Israel, 8pm S Africa, 7am Auckland
- Wed Oct 13 (90 min) at 11am PST, 1pm CT, 2pm ET, 7pm UK, 8pm Eur, 9pm Israel, 8pm S Africa, 7am Auckland
- Wed Oct 20 (90 min) at 11am PST, 1pm CT, 2pm ET, 7pm UK, 8pm Eur, 9pm Israel, 8pm S Africa, 7am Auckland
- Wed Oct 27 (90 min) at 11am PST, 1pm CT, 2pm ET, 7pm UK, 8pm Eur, 9pm Israel, 9pm S Africa, 8am Auckland
(NOTE TIME CHANGES THIS WEEK)
- Wed Nov 3 (90 min) at 12pm PST, 2pm CT, 3pm ET, 7pm UK, 8pm Eur, 9pm Israel, 9pm S Africa, 8am Auckland
(NOTE TIME CHANGES THIS WEEK)
- Wed Nov 10 (90 min) at 12pm PST, 2pm CT, 3pm ET, 7pm UK, 8pm Eur, 9pm Israel, 9pm S Africa, 8am Auckland
- Wed Nov 17 (90 min) at 12pm PST, 2pm CT, 3pm ET, 7pm UK, 8pm Eur, 9pm Israel, 9pm S Africa, 8am Auckland
In preparation for the first session I would ask that you give a fresh look at The Great Illusion Parts 1 and 2 (33 min total) the first of the Long Beach Lectures by Sydney Banks, as a discussion of this video will be part of the first session.
This course does stand on it’s own, however I believe you will have an increased benefit in taking this course if you also take course #1 in the series which is available for self study – Exploring the Mind-brain-body- behavior Connection: Understanding Universal Principles Changes Everything!
Many U.S. and global licensed healthcare professionals have requested professional CE’s for continuing education toward re-licensure. Hope for Helpers offers (18 CE’s) continuing education contact hours available for purchase. All different types of health professionals can use Nursing CE’s. Check with your state licensing board.
Dr. Bill Pettit
Dr Pettit had shared the Three Principles within his psychiatric practice for more than 35 years at the time of his retirement from clinical psychiatry in 2018. Bill was mentored personally for over 26 years by Sydney Banks. Bill earned an undergraduate degree from Creighton University, and his M.D. degree from the University of Illinois. He was previously board - certified in adult, adolescent, and geriatric psychiatry, and psycho-somatic (mind-body) medicine. In addition he was twice certified in addiction medicine. He has over 16 years of experience as an academic teacher and presently holds an appointment as Adjunct Clinical Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at Creighton University School of Medicine. Bill also served as a physician in the United States Navy as a Navy Flight Surgeon and as Chief of Psychiatry of the Navy Nuclear Submarine base at Groton, Connecticut.
Since 1983 Dr. Pettit has been a student and sharer of the Three Principles, presenting at many national and international programs and conferences, and consulting clients, individuals and organizations both locally and abroad.
Bill and his wife, Linda, now live in Phoenix, Arizona, where Bill has retired from the practice of psychiatry and now devotes his time and energy sharing the Three Principles through as many avenues as possible.